Category Archives: 4 Typesetting

Typesetting-Lorum Ipsum

For this exercise I am asked to select one of my research designs and try to copy the layout and design as closely as possible and experiment with fonts, alignment and leading.

20141112_193146

I chose a brochure about an exhibition called ‘Europe and Beyond 12 artists in clay’. The cover shows work of one of the artists and the title of the exhibition. The inside of the brochure consists of a single image of the artists’ work and a short bio. It is done the same way for all of the 12 artists taking part in the exhibition. All the info about the event is on the last page. I like the simplistic manner of the brochure. Its design is clear and simple and its sharp look is fitting for the exhibition of contemporary art. It also make the event appear to be of a high standard. The brochure is A5 size and has an accordion fold. I will concentrate on the first and second page of the brochure.

I copied the layout and design of the brochure. I used the grid in Illustrator to make coping of the columns of text easier. I chose the Franklin Gothic Book and Franklin Gothic Demi as the closest fonts to the ones used in the brochure. Text on the first page is 40pt size and on second page 10pt:

brochure1

I experimented using BBGlobal Sans Bold and BBGlobal Sans Regular on the two pages of the brochure. I kept the text on page 1 at 40 pt, but after altering the font I had to decrease font size on page 2 to 9pt, so all the text fits in:

brochure2

For the next version of the brochure I changed font on page 1 to Copperplate Gothic Bold, it took much more space than previous fonts, so I decreased font size to 36pt. I used Copperplate Gothic Bold on the second page for the artists’ names and the rest of text is written in Cambria Regular. Text on the second page went up to 10pt:

brochure3

In the following version I used Arial Regular and Bold for both pages of the brochure. The title of the exhibition had to remain slightly smaller at 36pt and is centre aligned and text on page 2 is 9pt.:

brochure4

For this last version I kept the fonts and text size as in the previous version, I just increased leading and tracking on page 2:

brochure5

The following are 2 different experiments of layout of the brochure:

myown1  myown2

The first experiment does not work as well, the images are too small and the layout leaves lots of blank space around them. The second try works better. This layout is very similar to the original one, I justified text, adjusted the size of the text boxes so they mirror the shape and size of the images and I placed images on one side of the page and text on the other.

For my second publication I chose the Royal Canal Day 2013 poster. Its design is very graceful and I find its colour combination appealing. It is A4 size with the title and name of the event, along with some graphics, placed in the upper half of the poster. All the detailed information is placed in the bottom half:

RoyalCanalDayPosterI found it hard to match the fonts, I thought the Franklin Gothic Medium font looked similar, but I realise that it is not a very close match:

canal

In the following example I used BBAlpha Sans Bold font for the top half of the poster. I had to decrease text size to keep with the original design. For the bottom half I chose BBAlpha Sans Bold and Regular, I had to decrease font size and leading:

canalversion1

For the following poster I used Century Gothic Bold and Cambria Bold fonts for the upper half of the poster, I hope the 2 fonts will add variety. I had to increase the size of Cambria Bold font to keep with the original design. The bottom half contains Century Gothic Bold:

canalversion2

The following are 2 posters with a different layout:

myown3  myown4

In the first version I changed the layout of the text, I placed it in 2 columns. The bottom part looks a little uneven as the text boxes have different sizes. The second poster works better, I placed all the text in a column placed on the left side of the poster. The larger right side consists of the event’s name and date and the space underneath can be used for the image that is included in the original version. It is interesting to see how slimmer and longer this version looks comparing to the first one with the green section placed in the bottom half.

This exercise allowed me to experiment more with fonts. Most of the time when a font was changed, I also had to adjust its size, leading and sometimes kerning. A different font changes not only the look, but also the whole structure of a design. I found it difficult to match the fonts of my chosen publications with fonts on my computer. I did not manage to match them but tried to achieve as a close match as possible.